Girl Scouting and Taxes



³If you are a Girl Scout volunteer, you are allowed a charitable tax deduction for your non-reimbursed, out-of-pocket expenses that are directly connected with the performance of your services as a Girl Scout volunteer.² 

General information on Taxes and Girl Scouting is listed on Kathy¹s Scouting Web. See IRS Charitable Contributions for details. Some excerpts are provided below:


To deduct a charitable contribution, you must file Form 1040 and itemize deductions on Schedule A.


Although you cannot deduct the value of your services given to a qualified organization, you may be able to deduct some amounts you pay in giving services to a qualified organization. The amounts must be:

·         Unreimbursed,

·         Directly connected with the services,

·         Expenses you had only because of the services you gave, and

·         Not personal, living, or family expenses.


You can deduct the cost and upkeep of uniforms that are not suitable for everyday use and that you must wear while performing donated services for a charitable organization.


If you do not want to deduct your actual (car) expenses, you can use a standard mileage rate of 14 cents a mile to figure your contribution.


[Example] You are a troop leader for a tax-exempt youth group and you help take the group on a camping trip. You are responsible for overseeing the setup of the camp and for providing adult supervision for other activities during the entire trip. You participate in the activities of the group and really enjoy your time with them. You oversee the breaking of camp and you help transport the group home. You can deduct your travel expenses.



Updated January 2009